A school uniform promotes school identity and pride, minimises the social pressures of over dressing in a school environment and is generally less expensive for parents.
Wearing our uniform correctly is important for our school tone because it shifts the emphasis from competition back to academic performance, personal achievement and mutual respect. These values are reflected in the school’s PRIDE values.
Students enrolled at Papanui High School agree to wear correct uniform to, from and at school and on all official school occasions.
If there is any doubt about uniform items, caregivers are advised to discuss concerns with the senior manager responsible for uniform prior to the purchase of any item.
Responsibility for interpretation of regulations lies with the senior management.
Regulation items can be purchased from Mainland Uniforms and Uniform section of The Warehouse Northlands. Items such as shorts and trousers need to be purchased from the suppliers above or the second hand uniform store.
- Kilt in Black Watch Tartan
- Dark navy trousers or shorts
- Light Weight skirt or culottes in Black Watch tartan
- White long sleeved school blouse or white skivvy (the skivvy will be phased out over the following 4 years)
- White open-necked short sleeve shirt or white polo shirt
- White long sleeved business style shirt
- V Neck Bottle green jersey with PHS logo— Years 9 and 10
- V Neck Dark navy jersey or cardigan for senior students
- Plain navy polar fleece
- Navy shower-proof jacket with PHS monogram
- Navy, white or black socks or tights.
- Camel colour walk socks (these will be phased out over the following 4 years)
- Plain black covered leather or leather like shoes. No coloured insignia, logos or trims.
- Laced shoes are to be worn with black laces only. Due to health and safety regulations sandals and canvas shoes are not acceptable.
*winter uniform may be worn on any cold day, similarly, summer uniform on warm days
Plain navy, black or bottle-green sun hats, caps or beanies can be worn outside the buildings. No logos or contrasting insignia unless it is the Papanui High School logo.
Plain navy, black or bottle green headscarves may be worn for cultural reasons.
Scarves — either green/gold, black, navy
Tie — Bottle Green (optional)
Students may wear :
- unobtrusive studs/sleepers in ears
- one unobtrusive culturally or personally significant necklace or bangle
Body piercing is discouraged for safety reasons but if worn only small studs are acceptable. Note that the rule of one unobtrusive piece of jewellery still applies.
Visible undergarments such as tshirts / polyprops can only be white.
The expectation is that students are presented in a neat and tidy manner reflecting the school values.
Physical Education and Dance
All students Years 9—12: PE uniform compulsory ie. Navy and white polyester airmesh sports top with school logo. Navy polyester shorts with drawcord, or black three quarter or full length leggings, without logos. PE top and shorts are available at Mainland Uniforms.
Year 13 and above:
Tidy mufti. Please note mufti must meet the safety requirements for certain subjects. This includes enclosed shoes for Science and technology subjects.
Sports Teams Uniforms:
Jackets and other clothing purchased or issued as part of a school sports team are not part of the day to day classroom uniform. They are to be worn when representing the school at a sports event.
2nd Hand Uniform Sales
These are on the following dates. Second hand items are available. Parents with good used clothing that is no longer required should contact the school office about re-sale. Donations of clothing are most welcome too. All items should be clean, pressed and clearly labelled with name, address, phone number and suggested price attached.
The second hand uniform shop will be open at the following times