A school uniform; promotes school identity and pride, minimises social pressures and is generally less expensive for parents.
Wearing our uniform correctly is important for our school tone because it shifts the emphasis from competition back to academic performance, personal achievement and mutual respect. These values are reflected in the school’s PRIDE values.
Students enrolled at Papanui High School agree to wear correct uniform to, from and at school and on all official school occasions.
If there is any doubt about uniform items, caregivers are advised to discuss concerns with the senior leader responsible for uniform prior to the purchase of any item.
Responsibility for interpretation of regulations lies with the senior leadership.
Regulation items can be purchased from Mainland Uniforms, online via Withers and Co or from the uniform section of The Warehouse Northlands. Items such as shorts and trousers need to be purchased from the suppliers above or the second hand uniform store.
The expectation is that students are presented in a neat and tidy manner and wearing items from the list below.
Bottom – any of the following:
- Kilt - Black watch tartan
- Trousers or shorts - Dark navy
- Light weight skirt or culottes - Black watch tartan
- Ie faitaga with PHS logo – Dark Navy (only available from Mainland uniforms)
Top – any of the following:
- Long or short sleeve school blouse - White.
- Open-necked short sleeve shirt or polo shirt - White
- Long sleeved business style shirt – White
The above items may be worn with any of the following:
- Years 9 and 10 V neck Jersey, vest or cardigan with PHS logo - Bottle green
- Years 11 and 12 V neck Jersey, vest or cardigan with PHS logo- Dark navy
- Polar fleece with PHS logo - navy
- Shower-proof or lined jacket with PHS logo – Navy
Shoes and socks:
- Socks or tights - Black, white or navy (No coloured insignia, logos or trims.)
- Plain covered leather or leather like shoes - Black (No coloured insignia, logos or trims.) Laced shoes are to be worn with black laces only.
- Sun hats, caps or beanies can be worn outside the buildings - Navy, bottle green or black and with no logos or contrasting insignia unless it is the Papanui High School logo.
- Headscarves - Navy, black or bottle green may be worn for cultural reasons.
- Scarves - Green/gold, plain black, or plain navy
- Tie - Bottle green
Students may wear:
- unobtrusive studs/sleepers in ears
- one unobtrusive culturally or personally significant necklace or bangle
- The skivvy and camel walk socks have been phased out of the uniform, whilst they can be worn until the end of 2020, we would encourage families not to purchase these items
- Due to health and safety regulations sandals and canvas shoes are not acceptable.
- Visible undergarments such as t-shirts /poly-props can only be white
- Body piercing is discouraged for health and safety reasons but if worn only a small flat studs is acceptable and the rule of one unobtrusive piece of jewelry still applies.
- The Ie Faitaga must include the PHS logo and can only be purchased from Mainland Uniform
Year 13 and above:
Tidy mufti. Please note mufti must meet the safety requirements for certain subjects. This includes enclosed shoes for Science and Technology subjects.
PE and Dance:
The PE uniform is compulsory year 9 to 11
- Blue air mesh top with PHS logo. (The top available at Mainland will be phased out by 2022.)
Bottom – any of the following
- Plain navy blue or black shorts
- 3/4 leggings (active-wear style)
Sports Teams Uniforms & Co-curricular Clothing:
Jerseys and other clothing purchased or issued as part of a school sports team are not part of the day to day classroom uniform. They are to be worn when representing the school at a sports event.
Please follow the link above for information regarding the second hand uniform sale.